Leave This Night Pure and Perfect
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Continued from Archaic Kinds of Fun.

Sam led Nate away from the Atheneum and towards the Domiciles, all the time keeping his eyes straight ahead.  He could tell Nate had...intentions regarding him. The prospect was bizarre, thrilling,  but he didn't want Nate to think he was the kind of man to do that the first time he'd met someone. Admittedly taking him straight home didn't help the impression he was trying to give off, but...

He just had a good heart and clearly no wish to kiss the very handsome charming man.

They reached his home quickly and as soon as he opened the door Mia came meowing, weaving herself around his legs. "Do you like cats? This is Mia." He said back to Nate, then stepped into the room proper.

The living room was cosy. A large fireplace sat between two armchairs, a large portrait of the Wordsworth family (all serious faces and crossed hands) hanging above it. The mantelpiece held a few objects of curiosity, the centrepiece being a golden feather displayed held in a wooden stand. All around were books, framing the whole scene, and in the back a table filled with book making supplies and paper was illuminated by the filtered light coming through his curtains.

"Would you like some tea while we discuss things?" Sam asked, going to touch a teapot resting on a table between the chairs as Mia lept up to curl in one of them.

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:

????
Nate couldn’t keep the grin off his face as he followed Sam through the streets, his eyes more focused on the man in front of him than the path they followed. It wasn’t like this place was really big enough to get lost in. Besides, he knew Sam could feel his gaze burning into his back, and Nate wanted to see how much the ginger could take before he cracked.

There was a glance spared around when they stopped, briefly, outside Sams home. Nate was excited to see what lay behind the door, there were so many little details you could glean just from someone’s home. ”I don’t mind cats.” He mumbled distractedly, looking all around the living room. He stepped in behind Sam, feet taking him towards one of the armchairs.

”Tea would be nice, if you don’t mind me... adding to it.” Nate laughed, picking Mia up so he could sit down in the chair and replacing her on his lap. ”You know,” Nate crossed his legs and turned to face Sam, careful of the cat on his lap. ”It might be because we met in a library, but I get the feeling you like books.” He barely managed to get his words out before cracking up, his head tipping back in a way that was meant to show off, just a little bit.
Nate
?aut viam inveniam aut faciam?
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Adding...to it." Sam repeated, confusion clear on his face. He supposed that was alright, but...what did Nate mean? Was it an insult? He thought his tea brewing was good enough by itself, but it seemed this man disagreed without even trying it. Still, he went briefly into the kitchen to grab some leaves then came before Nate to the tea-making supplies.

He understood Nate's joke, at least. Smiling as he poured the hot water (and looking up with a raised eyebrow at the odd way Nate laughed) he shrugged. "I am a bookmaker. But even if I wasn't, I think I would still love books. They're simply magic. You can go somewhere else, be a new person..." Sam sighed wistfully. As he put down the water hug he was happy to see Nate with Mia on his knee, glad that his new roommate wouldn't have a problem with his cat (if he had had a problem, he would not have been a roommate very long).

The tea needed a moment to brew. Sam sat back and tossed some logs into the fire, ready to light it when it was a little darker. Currently light still came through the curtains, filtered so it would not hurt his skin. "Tell me about Jersey. I want to know all of the Outlander worlds."

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

????
Nate grinned, and pulled a little silver flask from an inside pocket of his jacket out to show Sam in response to his confusion. Tea wasn’t necessarily his first choice, but it wasn’t entirely terrible either. ”I never had the time to read much for fun.” Nate said, petting Mia absentmindedly while he watched Sam brew the tea. ”I actually always thought books were a bit boring.” It had always seemed like there was better things to do than read, especially in his house.

Sam left the tea to sit, Nate’s eyes lingering on one of the cups for a moment before turning towards Sam, the corners of his eyes crinkling with the force of his smile. ”You wanna know about New Jersey?” Nate hummed, trying to think of the nicest way he could frame his home. ”It’s near the ocean. Not the place I lived, but it wasn’t far either. And... there was a lot of people there. Some real pieces of work. They fit in with the place though. It’s a lot nicer here.”

Ifnhe was going to be interrogated, then Nate was going to get some information he wanted too. It was a two way street, and Sam had said he’d help. ”Did everyone here come from somewhere else? Did you?”
Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"If you think they're boring, you aren't reading the right ones." Sam immediately insisted in a voice far more pompous than his usual unsure, quiet tone. Seeing Nate's flask he pulled a disapproving face (would this man taint the sanctity of tea so much?) but said nothing, just raising his eyebrows and looking down as if to say 'Well.'

Still, he leaned forward interested to hear more about the mystical land of Jersey. "Near the ocean? Oh, how lovely. I've never seen an ocean...they say there's one outside of the barrier and I suppose I could go see it now, but..." He smiled, shrugged. "I'm not really an explorer kind of man." Most people said it was worse here, so he smiled a little wider to hear Nate describe it as nice.

"No. There's Naturals and Outlanders. You are an Outlander, meaning you came from somewhere else. I'm a...Natural, which means I was born here. There's been more Outlanders in the last few years." His voice was free of judgement, just explanatory. He reached forward and began to pour the tea, pushing one towards Nate slowly as if hesitant to let him have it with his...addition.

"Some Naturals are upset with Outlanders. There is..a Spire, in the middle of town. And there used to be a barrier around it. The Outlanders...and some others. Me, too. Went to the Spire. Got rid of the barrier. Some Naturals didn't like that."

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

????
”I’m sure it’s nothing like you’re imagining. The beaches back home are always crowded, and dirty.” Nate found Sam’s naïveté kind of charming, even if the first thought to cross his mind was how easy it would be to talk him into something. ”I’m sure the ones out here are nice. It’s not far out, is it? I’d like to see a nice beach, and I could bring you with me if you wanted.’

Reaching out, Nate took the offered mug of tea, giving Sam the courtesy of taking a sip before he poured a healthy sip from his flask into the cup. ”Is there some kind of feud between outlanders and naturals?” Nate didn’t like the way Sam was describing it, like there was a split between people. Situations like that could turn bad too quickly for anyone to control. ”Seems if there’s more outsiders coming in, everyone should make an effort to get along, right?” Smiling like his words weren’t obvious, Nate took another sip of his tea.

”I saw the spire, but... well I didn’t know what the fuck it was. Why would anyone be upset about getting rid of a barrier though?” Surely people wanted the chance to get out of a cage, especially one they’d been born into. Nate has been chasing different kinds of freedom his whole life, and couldn’t understand being upset about gaining freedom. Especially if itnhad been done for them.”I suppose you’re not one of the ones upset about the... barrier?” He did look surprised, and a little impressed, that Sam had done something that sounded so adventurous. It didn’t fit in with the idea of the other man he’d built up in his head.
Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"I'm not sure how far out it is...maybe. Though I have heard the Greatwood can be very dangerous." Sam screwed up his face, staring down at the fireplace. The bravery he'd had at the Spire had been truly used up, now he knew he would not be able to do anything else adventurous for a while. He had to recharge, let himself rest, give himself time to be scared.

Feud wasn't quite the right word, Sam tilted his head side to side and hummed. "No. Just..some disagreements. Some tensions. A lot of people don't mind Outlanders at all. But after this thing with the Spire...it's just been heightened, the issues people already had." He thought of Jigano's smug way of sometimes talking of things he didn't know that well, the way Outlanders had killed the demon despite warning...he did not hate Outlanders. But he could understand the frustrations.

"We didn't know what was outside of it. And the Gods put the barrier there...believe me. You do not want to go against the God's wishes." Sam warned, then took a sip of his tea.

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

????
Greatwood? Nate had to smile, despite Sam’s warning of danger, he couldn’t help but think it sounded whimsical. Like a fairytale. He could see thinking about it had upset Sam though, his face and downcast eyes painting a picture. ”It’s not like you gotta go anywhere right now. I should probably figure out where here is before I go trying to lead anyone around anyway.” He laughed, trying to perk Sam up a little.

Nate took a sip of tea, considering the situation Sam had described. ”I guess I can understand that. I mean, nobody likes tourists, right? But that doesn’t stop them coming around and being stupid.” He nodded sagely after his analogy, not sure that  Sam would get it but hoping it would come across as smart. ”People think everywhere’s like where they come from, so they should do things the same way.”

Brows furrowed, Nate held up a hand, giving Sam a second of warning before he interrupted. ”What do you mean Gods? And why do you care what god thinks anyway? Nothing happens until after you’re dead, but by then you’re dead so..” Nate shrugged, not having the Words to properly communicate his pout any other way. There were some habits he was going to need to change, if his sins had real time punishment here.
Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Yes, that might be a good idea. The Loreseeker's Guild, which I am a part of, would benefit from some maps we could give to potential travellers...but we need someone to be brave enough to explore and record first." It would not be him, so Sam wouldn't toss anyone else up into that job either. He was not a particularly skilled artist either, so he would not be making the maps.

He wasn't quite sure what a tourist was, but he could agree with the sentiment. "From what I've heard, a lot of the Outlander worlds are very different to Caido. Very different indeed...I've heard all kinds of things." Jigano's descriptions of his odd friends still stuck in Sam's mind, as long as Remi's telling of Northaven and Isla's medical knowledge.

And it seemed he was about to discover another difference. "I mean....the Gods. The Voice, and Safrin, Ludo, Frey...Vi, Caido...Mort...there's plenty. And you don't just see them when you die, why would that be the case? No, you can go and request to speak to one at a Shrine right now. Whether you will receive an answer I'm not sure..." He hadn't seen Nate shift or do any magic yet, but that didn't mean he couldn't; Sam was unsure of his race. "I speak to The Voice regularly. She is why I am Ascended, after all."

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

????
Nate nodded at the thought of a map, and hoped there existed someone enterprising enough to make one. Everything here was a little too different for him to really feel confident venturing out, despite his previous boasting. ”I don’t know about anywhere else, but here is real fucking different from home.” He took a sip of tea, eyes wandering around Sams home again. Even here was so different to anything he had known before.

A nervous energy began to manifest in him, Nate’s feet tapping and his fingers drumming on the tea cup. Though he had done a remarkable job staying kept together up until this point, he was too quickly coming to a place where he actually had to swallow the bitter pill of reality. He was somewhere alien, somewhere so far away and different that he knew nothing. The train of thought was unwelcome, enough so that Nate pulled out his flask again, filling his tea cup back up to the brim and taking a deep sip.

”I’ve never heard of any of those gods. Back home, there’s just one... I mean, I guess other people have different ones, but I only really know one.” Nate had the basest knowledge of theology, mostly what he could remember from what of Sunday school lessons, but it all seemed so cheap in the face of what Sam was saying. “I could talk to a god right now? Really?” His mind races with possibilities, his nervous energy given a new focus, a life ring in the sea of his troubles.

Sams little addition that he spoke to a god regularly, that he was something other than human gave Nate pause, careful eyes roaming over Sam again, searching for some hint of what he was. When his sense failed him, he turned to words. ”What’s ascended? Sounds fancy, especially if you get to talk to Gods.”
Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"I hear that from a lot of Outlanders. I'm not sure if all of our worlds are very different from each other, or if just Caido is particularly odd." There did seem to be some similarities between them all - spoken language, general structures of society, housing, clothes, but when you were in a new place it was always the differences that seemed the most vibrant, wasn't it?

Just one God? He'd heard that of some other places too, but thought it very bizarre. One for everything? How could you trust one God to look after the whole world? Surely it was too much for any one set of shoulders, even divine ones. "Yes. I can take you to the shrine in the temple, if you'd like."

Sam watched with a judgemental eye as Nate tarnished his delicious tea with yet more alcohol, wondering if he had made the wrong choice taking pity on this particular Outlander. His parents had not had much wisdom he'd carried into adulthood, but his mother had always said to be wary of strangers.

"Ascended is...The Voice takes people, Accepted, and makes them...like me. With.." Sam opened his mouth to show Nate his fangs. "We have certain abilities, but theres a price too."

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

????
Nate smiled brightly over the rim of his teacup at the ginger haired man, taking a sip before replying. He was honestly overwhelmed by the generosity of Sam, and had to wonder if it was representative of Cairo in general, or if it was just him. ”I would like that. Gods don’t have any reason to talk to me, but it might be fun, right?” As much as he wanted to run out and see what kind of response he could get immediately, they had just gotten settled, and Nate didn’t want to add to what he was planning on paying back.

Sam opened his mouth, showing off fangs, and Nate leaned forward in surprise. ”You’re a vampire?” He laughed, not sure how serious to take the idea. ”Like, do you suck blood and stuff?” A thought came to him, one he tried to phrase in as neutral a way as possible. ”Are you... can you make me a vampire?”
Nate
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

"Fun? I'm not...sure about that. Often they can be violent or...rude." He frowned, looking off to the side as he remembered the sting of the sun from the Old Gods on his skin. Not just that - it was very rare to hear from people that their visits to Shrines had gone well. Usually they had been terrified or manipulated, tricked...The Voice would likely be welcoming to Nate but only for her other motives. "...Be careful."

Nate called him a vampire, a word he'd heard from a few Outlanders but didn't care for. He wasn't even sure why (it was certainly preferable to 'bloodfiend'), but the term made him want to wrinkle his nose, which he did.

"I...can drink blood, but I don't have to, and I don't care to do it." Sam's voice was firmer than usual for this warning, his tone flat and dry. "And no. You would have to go to The Voice for that. But I warn you, there are side effects."

Samuel
I hear in my mind
All these voices
I hear in my mind
All of these words
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:

????
”Y’know, I think gods are allowed to be rude. Comes with being a god, doesn’t it?” Nate grinned, not taking Sams warning to heart in the least. He’d taken care of himself up until now, he was sure he could handle himself in any upcoming situations.

Sam seemed offended by the term vampire, something that confused Nate. If he were something so cool, he’d want everyone to know. Though he would have to change his look somewhat. Side effects did make him smile falter somewhat, Nate’s eyes roaming over Sam as if he could somehow see what they might be. ”What kind of side effects? Like, normal ones, or weird extra ones?”

A thought came to Nate as he finished off his cup of tea, warmth now spreading through him. ”If there’s vam- uh, ascended? Then are there other things too? Like werewolves and shit?” If he was going to be trapped in some weird fantasy world, he might as well know as much weirdness as he could upfront. Nate eyed the teapot while he spoke, wondering if he was allowed to take more.
Nate