[RQ] sweet, sweet success
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
In the end it wasn’t cleverness that brought them success, but the enemy’s obliviousness. Good timing. Bad timing. Call it what you will, the Wraith left Torchline feeling most satisfied and headed almost straight for the Temple, with an offer for Varus and / or Mabel to join her if they want. They should reap any credit and rewards from their Goddess, should there be any.

A note is sent to Cameron as well, asking them to join the small group of Grounders-who-had-seen compasses and rings in action.

Stepping into the Temple, it feels like a great weight has been lifted off the Queen’s shoulders; the task is complete, protections can be put in place, and most importantly, she can soon pass on her responsibilities. Her buoyancy is obvious; a spring in her step, a pale glint in clear blue eyes, or maybe even an energy of - joy, almost.

“Lady,” Wessex addresses the marble dias, begining once all are assembled. “We’ve placed the orb and seen what you need us to see. Cameron has seen a ring, and Mabel, Cal, and myself saw a compass.”

----------------

Turning in the Hollowed Grounds RQ for protection against the Order, given here: she that made us first to be

Completed here:
in every hollow, every cloud on the horizon - Wessex and Azrael laying an orb
{RQ} Otherworldly - Bastien, Henry, and Wessex laying an orb
(RQ) the sweetest flowers, the fairest trees - Amun, Oliver, and Belril laying an orb

{Mini Event} enter the dragon - Cameron sees Ronin's ring in action
{Mini Event} my friends, my people, my flock - Mabel, Varus, and Wessex see Gideon's compass in action

Tasks. There is no time limit. There are currently 11 active Grounders. This means 5 unique characters have to participate (SCs do not count - they can participate, but they don't count toward completing tasks). Characters can participate more than once. Wessex, Amun, Bastien, and Oliver must participate in at least 1 thread. Wessex must participate in 2.
WESSEX
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
Come sit right here and sleep while I slip poison in your ear
Away from Torchline and back into the thresholds of home was enough to put Mabel thoroughly back at ease. Her shoulders were squared, her hands no longer gripping so tightly into balled up fists, and the notions of success in something started so long ago (perhaps even when she’d been dead), meant there could be measures taken. Ruminations not just drawn, but spun along in thwarting the rest of the world away.

Seen a compass – the emblazoning of an Order member simply disappearing after his siege of words and phrases. Mabel was only mildly disappointed her rocks and fruit hadn’t reached him. That he couldn’t be harmed, couldn’t be touched, that a coward’s way out of movement and motion had sent him scurrying. There’d be other opportunities. Other moments. She was certain.

But she was here to represent what she’d noticed, and would do so proudly, stepping in along the rest.
MABEL
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cameron arrived at the Temple nervously, which was nothing unusual for them. The web of factors feeding into their current anxiety was complex, though -- so much so that they couldn't tell themself just how on edge they were.

On one hand, they were glad for the summons, glad that their little espionage mission had gone well enough to make a concrete difference -- glad that they could help Wessex and the Grounds. However, they still felt a little awkward about the Voice after failing to reach her from the shrine before. They assumed that Wessex would have no such problem, but they couldn't help but take the goddess's earlier silence as a personal rejection. That made them not exactly relish the idea of approaching the shrine again, but they would of course put aside those feelings if that was what Wessex needed.

They gave a little wave to Mabel, recognizing her from when they'd helped repair her home, and smiled at Wessex, but said little as everyone arrived.

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
broken cigarettes and bullet holes, one more to the chest and i'm alone
Oh there’s absolutely no way that Varus is missing this. He’d done as Wessex had asked, tried to slip in and see it happen – and with all eyes on Gideon as he departed? Well, it should have been in the bag, right? So of course he arrives, slinking in with his hands in his pockets, leaning against a pillar within the Temple, a nod given to Mabel and to Cameron.

The explanation of how all of them had seen what the quest required is aired and Varus remains quiet, silent as he stares at the shrine, some quiet smile twitching on the corners of his lips, awaiting for the Voice to show and tell them whether it had worked – not thinking at all about the complexities this quest might have for Isla, unfortunately.

All he’d wanted was to help, and here they were. Turning it in.
VARUS

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the stories i could tell
The Voice appears, surprised to be called into the Temple after her last meeting with Wessex. It shows slightly on her face as she nods to her Wraith, though quickly any lingering tension in her youthful features disappears in light of the work accomplished by her bright ones. "You have all done an incredible job. You took your time. You did not advertise your needs or efforts. The Order will have no idea what has happened until they try and arrive here.."

Her smile widens.

"I cannot tell you how pleased I am. Of course members of the Order have other ways of finding their way in. Those who are close but not actually members who might act as friends to some of you..?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
empires fall when we move the unmovable, so tell me all of my secrets, tell me all of my lies,
The Voice’s praise lingers in the air and Wessex looks to those who are gathered here; there were others who did the work, of course, but these three took more of a chance and she flashes each of them a wide smile.

But of course it doesn’t end there, because it never does (war is ever closer with each day that passes) and the warning does not fall on deaf ears. It’s something she was hoping to not have to address, because she knows the goddess can only be talking (mostly) about the Lullaby. “I don’t know how to keep Remi out. He’s the only obvious one who comes to mind, other than the Dragoons, of course.” And they could come, with their dragons - but without their commander.

If there are any others, she can’t think of them quite yet, and falls silent, knowing that their plan, while it helps - is not fool proof.

(Heather has said Mabel has nothing to add, no need to wait for her XD )
WESSEX
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The Voice appearing is always a balm to the Ascended. Varus straightens up a fraction as their goddess shows, despite the way he still leans against the pillar – arms crossed. It’s looser, his gaze more attentive and bright, and when her warning is uttered, Varus understands. It’s the fear he’s had too, somewhere deep down at the thought of Remi being so close to Isla. But there’s something he hopes they can count on and that’s the demigod warning them, should there be a time they must worry about him.

So he pushes off the wall, stepping toward the Voice with a bright smile and a dip of his head. It might not be his place, but he’s content to offer the information he’s gathered as well. “If I might… Ludo’s demigod has told us he will warn us if he’s ever told to make a move against us.” For a moment, his lips twist and purse as he considers it.

He hopes they can count on it, but Varus has also been on the wrong end of the things he’d hoped very much for. So he takes a deep breath he doesn’t need, looks back unabashedly at his goddess. “I have been trying to train up to resume the same position in the war I held last time. I can speed it up, perhaps gather some that may be willing to be spies just as before, so if Remi fails to warn us or the Dragoons show, we’ll have a heads up?
VARUS
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Given that this was their first real encounter with a deity, Cam was surprised to discover how much the Voice set them at ease. It was her praise, the way she smiled at Wessex and the others -- and even a little at Cam, they imagined. Of course, Cam wasn't one of her children -- yet -- and their role in the whole project had been pretty minor, in their own opinion. They didn't really take her praise as directed to them. But they still basked in its reflected glow; the goddess's apparent kindness to her followers encouraged Cam to want to become one of those followers.

Returning Varus's nod, they stood back, silent but smiling slightly, as the Voice, Wessex, and Varus discussed their conflict. They didn't understand enough about the Order or the Dragoons to have an opinion on the matter; they weren't even sure who Remi was. But they remained ready to help in whatever way the Voice required of them.

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Change author:
the stories i could tell
The Voice offers Wessex a wry smile. "Has anyone told him to...stay out?" She wonders leadingly. Then, just to Wessex, the Voice mentally says, The Lullaby can only be killed by one he loves. There just so happens to be such a person here. Perhaps he could be...taken care of prior to the star of things...

Glancing toward Varus, the Voice nods as her eyes flash with an electric sheen. "And you believe him?" With a shake of her head to indicate her question is rhetorical, she continues. "What if Ludo one day gives him the command that he's not to say anything to you? That his son or husband shall die if he gives you a warning?" Her expression very much suggests that they would all be naive to think that any of the demigods could be trusted or counted upon. "A good idea. The Dark Star will not be so easily killed, so perhaps spying on his efforts and the state of his dragoons is a good place to start."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
That’s twice now that the Voice has mentioned Remi’s vulnerability and Wessex had heard it, but not thought much about it. The private suggestion takes her away from the conversation, brow wrinkled as she tries to think of who the Voice might be talking about. Surely not Sam? She’d thought that ship had sailed long, l o o o n g time ago, but then it dawns on her. I..s..la? the demigod replies slowly, thinking she must have been an idiot not to think of it before, if it was indeed true.

But Isla was supposed to be one of the next leaders. And Wessex her General.

“Telling him and enforcing it afterwards are different things,” she replies wryly, knowing full well that she is one of the few who knows the Lullaby’s strength and that it surpasses her own, strong as she is. Unable to seen at times, that manticore shift, and goddess knows what else. It would be one hell of a fight, and Wessex is not sure she would win. “But it’s not impossible. I'll think on it.”  

I would do many things for you, Lady, but I can’t ask her to do that. I think it would ruin any chance of a good relationship with her. I will try to plant the seed, see where she stands, and what her priorities are. Would Isla still be a good choice to lead? She was Remi's companion. That kind of closeness, gods, even if it weren’t so fucked up with the whole unicorn thing - Wessex’s gut recoils at the thought of killing Loki.

No, she can’t jeopardize the future, if the Wraith and the medic are to work well together (even if that if seems to have gotten exponentially bigger). Something that big would… probably be more successful coming from you.
WESSEX
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Has anyone told him to stay out? No. At least not to Varus’ knowledge. And when the Voice rhetorically asks if he believes Remi, well, given what he does know – it’s hard to trust anyone these days. So it’s with a soft smile that crosses his face that his head dips a fraction. “I don’t trust it, no. But I did get a bite from the Lullaby.” He offers up, in case it may be worth noting.

And actually, a thought occurs that piggy backs off of Wessex’s own. “I have them stored. Would it be worth it to study them to see what we’re up against for Remi specifically in order to enforce it?” He asks, his head lifting and brows furrowing together at the thought. Could there be anything done while he had them stored? Or would it still only be a onetime use?

As for the spies and the Star, Varus does bow his head, accepting the offer of getting his spies back in order. He supposes it’s time to get those Accepted back under his belt, to send his little birdies loose once again.
VARUS

Change author:
the stories i could tell
Isla.

The Voice nods. "I will leave it to you to figure that out. He might be strong, but he has many, many, weaknesses." If keeping one demigod from the Grounds was going to be such a monumental task, that did not bode well for how her ascended were going to fair when the odds were even less in their favour.  Then again, perhaps it would be a good example of just how strong they could be if they worked together.

If the Voice is disappointed in Wessex's answer, nothing on her face shows it. Instead, she merely nods once more. Ask her whose lives she values more. The whole of the ascended race, or one man. She is practically minded if nothing else.

Turning to Varus, the Voice raises a brow. "A bite you say...interesting. Do you think he would let you bite him again, if this power was to be used?" It was no secret that the Lullaby was especially susceptible to bites from the ascended...perhaps if Isla would not weild her power over Remi, someone else could forge such a relationship...and in the meantime, if he was willing to let himself be used, why not?

"Carefully, though. Not all abilities from a demigod can be used by our family. Those that Ronin and Amalia possess for example, fiery and celestial, would be deadly. As far as I know...Ludo's abilities tend not to deal with fire. But keep it in mind."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
I will.  she replies. Immediately, making it her next stop - next step - in making sure everything was secure and ready to go for a successful transition.

And then, for once, the focus is off her and the Wraith can simply listen to Cal and their Lady go back and forth about Remi and the potential to either study him or develop some kind of… other relationship. Her own is likely one of mutual respect. Knowing that the future doesn’t hold much use for a friendship, so there’s no point in wasting time developing one. Their spar had told her a little about him, but more would always be welcome.

“I have a couple of items he made, back before he was an alchemist. In terms of creating something that could keep him out, would it be useful?” Maybe a last minute surprise, to take away something the Order is counting on. Maybe when combined with something else, strong enough to do some damage?
WESSEX
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He awaits the Voice’s response with a calculating mind and partially baited breath, mulling it over when the answer does arrive. “It’s… Possible?” The answer is fully of uncertainty, but he exhales a slow breath, considering the options at face value. “He doesn’t trust easily. He offered the bite so I could protect Isla.” He admits — having nothing to shy away from or hide from in a room of those that were or would be their family.

Finally, with the warning, Varus dips his head in answer. “Thank you. I know the shifts have been used before, but as for Ludo’s abilities it doesn’t feel like there’s much that would harm us.” Can he feel them in his blood, ready to be tapped into if they were dangerous? He doesn’t know. What he does know is that it’s mostly shadows and dreams, and truthfully, Varus can’t dream. It makes that part rather moot, he supposes, but the shifts? The shifts would certainly be useful. Stepping back, he lifts his head toward Wessex who speaks next of items crafted by the Lullaby and waits for that as well.
VARUS