but what did it cost?
for Safrin <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
"What a shame she's fucked in the head," they said.
She hadn't put this off. If anything, she completed the task rather quickly. Still, Maeve had found herself dreading the conversation that was to come. Remi's words a constant loop in her head. Tell her I will do whatever she likes, if she makes your weapon safe for Ronin. Whatever she likes. Whatever she likes. Whatever she likes. It's the last thing she wants to do. Maeve knows the goddess's distaste for the Lullaby. Distaste is even too mild of a word to describe what it really is.

Still, she made a promise and Maeve keeps her promises.

Gingerly placing down the jars of collected soil and water, finding it funny how the place that she felt the strongest connection was in Remi's woods when he was one of the people Safrin cared for the least. Irony was a funny thing that way.

"Good evening, Safrin. I've done what you've asked and I have some things to share with you too. If you have the time." Maeve speaks as she arranges the candles, placing the distilled vial of hemlock perfume next to the jars, careful to handle it delicately.

Maeve is turning in her quest to Safrin!

Stargazing in Torchline - star light, star bright
Stargazing in Halo - counting stars
Stargazing in the Greatwood - how i wonder what you are
Stargazing in Stormbreak - up above the world so high
Stargazing in the Grounds - dancing in the moonlight
Collecting dirt and water from selected region - grounding
Maeve

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Safrin
The air hums with cosmic power as Safrin slips through the veil of reality. With a sound that's a mixture of paper tearing and the feeling of satin or velvet beneath one's fingers, she appears by the window, backlit and beautiful. "Maeve." The goddess greets with a warm and sultry smile. Smoothing down the pale fabric of her dress, she melts away from the puddle of moonlight she'd been standing in that she might move closer. Reaching down for the jar of hemlock perfume, Safrin twists the lid open and smells deeply of what is inside. "Delicious." She purrs, clearly pleased, before her deep starbright stare flicks sharply upwards towards her queen.

"Earth and water from the Greatwood..." She notes with a twitch of her lips. "Much as I dislike how Ludo has had the run of the place, the skies there are among my favourite."
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Each time the goddess appears to her, the Nightshade can't help but be in awe of her presence. She exhales at the sight of her, eyes full of stars as her smile grows at the obvious approval. "I'm so glad you like it. I thought it perfect for you. Beautiful, enticing, and deadly." Her laughter is soft as she meets Safrin's gaze, nodding in agreement at her words, "Remi showed me the stars there. He even found a cluster that could be named after me. It's what I looked at in each of the regions." She begins carefully, knowing that much like Sunjata, Remi is a touchy subject for her herald.

"He also told me that my weapon could be one of the only things in Caido that could kill Ronin if it uses starbolts. Safrin, the last thing I ever want to do is hurt Ronin. If we're fighting together I don't want him at risk because of my weapon." Maeve pauses, chewing at her bottom lip, uncertainty rolling in her belly. There was no going back now. She could only hope that Safrin might have some mercy. "Remi has aided me as well. In completing tasks for you and for Torchline. He's offered his support endlessly... I am asking that you please keep this from hurting Ronin, too. We'll do anything. He'll do anything" The implication clear in her voice.
Maeve

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Safrin
Exhaling with predictable sourness to hear Remi's name, Safrin's smile turns terse and displeased. "Ah." Running her tongue across her teeth while trying to shake the tension from her shoulders, Safrin then looks rather surprised to hear the remainder of what Maeve has to say.

For a moment there is nothing but silence and stillness as the goddess considers, though just what it is she's considering is anyone's guess. "One bolt from your bow is hardly enough to kill Ronin." Safrin explains. "Not even the strongest among you has the power to kill him with just one arrow." She continues. "Not even two or three." The allure of the words he'll do anything were oh so very tempting, and yet? Safrin's lip curls into a sneer as she shakes her head. "I would not have his influence anywhere near you or Torchline were it all up to me." With a look of disgust as the image of Remi fills her mind, Safrin turns away.

"If you are worried for Ronin, there are additional steps that you could take to make it so that your bow and arrows work only in your hands."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
It's a strange mix of relief and unease that settles deep in her stomach, a heavy pit threatening to make her sick as Safrin's clear displeasure sours the salt-sweet air around them. An apology is already forming on her tongue, wanting to smooth things over, needing to please the herald who had given her so much. "That... Is a relief to hear." Maeve murmurs, dipping her head as she dares to take a step forward, tentatively extending her hand to the goddess. "I'm sorry if I have upset you, Safrin. It was never my intention." She flicks her eyes back up to her, taking in the sneer that twists on her devastatingly beautiful features as she turns away from the Nightshade.

The suggestion is a perfect solution and would easily take away any concern of Ronin being hurt by this gift. If it spares Remi too? Well, that's just a bonus and Maeve is glad for it. Though, she doesn't dare voice this. "What would I need to do?" She asks softly, an expectant glint in her eyes, willing to complete whatever tasks given to her.
Maeve

Change author:
Safrin
"I realize that as a mortal who is not all-powerful that you cannot...be quite so steadfast in holding onto your convictions..." Safrin begins, sighing a breath of starlight. "That tempers my perspective of you somewhat...but dancing with an ascended? Cavorting with Sunjata? Stargazing with Remi?" She tuts and shakes her head. "But I do see these things. I see all the good you have done as well, do not mistake me...but still...where Sunjata and Remi are concerned, there is no greater slight you might make." The goddess adds before turning back.

"Have Deimos construct you a new bow*." Using one made by Remi would no longer stand. "Next, with Ronin's aid, have him superheat the wood with his phoenix fire. Place your hand upon the bow until your fingerprints are burned into it." Safrin smiles. "Ronin will be able to heal your wounds immediately after, I'm sure."

Maeve must

1. Have Deimos make her a new bow. (Tell Heather this won't use one of Deimos's crafting slots)
2. Have Ronin superheat the newly made bow so that when Maeve touches it, her fingerprints are burned into the wood.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Shame brings heat to her cheeks, thoroughly scolded and picked apart by Safrin's words, eyes dropping to the floor in a rare form of submission. There are few who can cow Maeve into such a state, but the herald did so easily. "It was a lapse in judgement..." She whispers of dancing with Amun. Even if they were tentative friends, there was no place for that and Maeve knew as much, but it had simply been nice to forget for a moment. Remi and Sunjata were harder to explain away and she didn't attempt to. There was no point. 

"He wants to hold a meeting in Torchline. To tell people about a place of neutrality he's creating with Frey. I know your stance on him and I will turn him away if you ask me to, but for what he's trying to make..." The lives that it could potentially save from the path of the war. That was worth letting him speak, wasn't it? Maeve finally lifts her eyes again as the rustling of Safrin's dress urges her to hold her gaze once more. "More than just children could be safe from this conflict." 

Nodding her head, the Nightshade concedes to the new terms, "I'll reach out to both of them. Thank you, Safrin."
Maeve

Change author:
Safrin
Safrin's lips purse as she gives her head a shake. What she says next is voiced casually, and yet the implication is anything but. "I meant your swim." She clarifies, raising a perfectly sculpted eyebrow in Maeve's direction. The air between the two seems to grow thick with violet energy as Safrin raises her chin. "Sunjata's betrayal of me...of our child together...the ways in which he has treated you over the years...how endless you must think my patience is. How thick my skin."

Trickling a finger up one of her arms, Safrin presses her nail against her skin where blood instantly blooms. "But it isn't." She hisses as the air cools. "Should there ever be a next time, it will take much more than an apology to earn another chance. Are we understood?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve flinches at the implication. Right. The swim that was more than a swim. That was helping a friend that shouldn't be her friend anymore. It stings and for the first time, Maeve understands why so many are wary of the herald that stands before her. The blood wells and trickles down her arm, pain sparking through her nerves, but she doesn't draw away from her. "I understand." The Nightshade whispers, a faint tremble to her voice as her throat grows tight, fear gripping her in a vice as she's pinned by the starry goddess's eyes.

She doesn't utter another apology even as it sits on the tip of her tongue. Maeve keeps it trapped behind her teeth, swallowing past the lump in her throat, drawing in a sharp breath. "It won't happen again." Her voice is louder this time. More sure of herself.
Maeve

Change author:
Safrin
As Safrin rubs at her own arm, smearing the blood there, red fades to a bruised and galactic purple that is suddenly rife with stars. "No. She agrees, "I should think it won't. Perhaps perspective is something you might discuss with Ronin as well. I know you have aspirations Maeve, and I would see you rise like the shining star you are...but stars fall just as often as they shine. Only your choices dictate which you will become."

So saying the goddess vanishes, leaving Maeve to consider what path forward she would choose.

~FIN