Personal Quest don't look the other way
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230

And it's peaceful in the deep
Because either way you cannot breathe
Sohalia arrived in Halo anticipating the cold, but she had to admit that she was not entirely prepared for it. The wind, in particular, was bitter, cutting through even the warm layers she had worn. It could have been worse, though; she understood that the city was magically protected from the worst of the chill. Perhaps she wouldn't range beyond the city walls on this particular trip. She wasn't sure she was prepared to battle the tundra in Deepfrost.

Besides, she was here on a mission: to understand the plight of the Abandoned. With Deimos and Evie's permission, she had set up for a focus group in the Council Hall, complete with chairs in a small circle, snacks and refreshments, and plenty of paper and pens for notes. Now all that remained was for her attendees to arrive.

------

This is an open PQ to discuss opening Stormbreak to Abandoned and what challenges may be faced. Abandoned characters and/or characters from Stormbreak preferred but not required. :) Please post your character arriving and we'll get started.

1. Sohalia
2. Deimos
3. Hotaru
No need to pray
No need to speak
Sohalia
the Luminary
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
I carried my own ashes to the mountains
The beginning of Deepfrost seemed to spiral on inspirations or designations for change, and while Deimos didn’t always revel in the notions of alterations, this one in particular was an interest for his people. Given how many Abandoned centered themselves within Halo’s walls, and never Stormbreak’s, the notions of how to best support both kingdoms was an inevitable wake, and Sohalia arrived promptly along the council hall.

He did too – surprisingly within its ramparts instead of in the barracks, after conducting another meeting. Unfurling a long breath and walking down the length of the corridor to the next vast room, the Sword greeted the Heart with a nod of his head and his usual rumble. “Sohalia. Thank you for doing this.” Before pilfering a cookie, and rounding over to a seat, papers and charcoal in hand.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9747
Hotaru
With a candle through time
I could still see your ghost
Whether it's to support the movement, to shove her nose in it to ensure it's properly directed, or merely to continue being a pain in the ass to Sohalia, of course Hotaru shows up. If she intentionally made her makeup a little sharper, her apparel more untouchably elegant, it was merely convenient timing.

Sohalia is unfortunately not alone - and even more unfortunately, Deimos has beaten her here - and she doesn't bother hiding the sniff of discontent she emits as she picks a chair and sits in a graceful humph. Snagging a notebook and writing implement, the Valkyrie crosses one leg over the other and props the notebook on her thigh like an imperious and judgmental therapist. She says nothing - because isn't this supposed to be Sohalia's gig?
But I can't close my eyes
For it's there where you haunt me most
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Deimos arrived first, and Sohalia smiled as he appeared. However Deimos might see her, she'd considered him a friend ever since he'd saved her from the Ceffyl Dwr, and though she wasn't so comfortable as to offer a friendly hug, she was at least sure enough to extend a cheerful greeting. "Hello, Deimos," she chirped. "Thank you for coming!"

Hotaru arrived shortly thereafter. Though Soh was grateful to the woman for saving her from the ursur (do we see a pattern here?), she had to admit that she wasn't quite sure where she stood with the Valkyrie. Still, she sent a welcoming smile her way. "Hotaru," she said, aiming for a calm and collected tone, channeling her inner Hadama or Lena, with their quiet warmth. "Thank you for coming."

Since this was, as Hotaru had duly noted, Soh's gig, the Luminary took a seat in one of the chairs, situating herself so that she could easily see each of her companions. With a notebook propped on her lap, she regarded each of the others in turn. "Thank you both for being here," she began. "I understand from our prior meeting that there are a great many concerns about welcoming Abandoned in Stormbreak, given our history, and I hope to use this forum to identify the main concerns and brainstorm ways to address them that will work for everyone involved. I welcome any feedback that you can provide.

"I have personally met several Abandoned and have tried to treat them the same as anyone else I might encounter, but I know that may not be the case for others within Stormbreak. I also know that, since I am not Abandoned myself, I can't pretend to understand the challenges that you may face. I am here to learn. All I ask is for your patience and participation."
She took a deep breath. "Now, I'd like to start by hearing from you both. What is the number one concern you have about Abandoned visiting Stormbreak?"

------

Round 1!

This is a bit of an odd PQ in that it will be talking more so than action, so please bear with me. <3 Please post your character's primary concern about the Abandoned/Stormbreak dilemma. No post order!
No need to pray
No need to speak
Sohalia
the Luminary
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Both unaware and unbothered by Hotaru’s discontent, he gave her a look of a brotherly arched brow, pondering if he should poke the bear or simply let it be. Snapping on another cookie instead, he turned his attention back to Sohalia, nodding at her persistent acknowledgments and thank yous, but openly wanting to simply get to the heart of the matter.

And while the young leader might not have encountered any of the issues lying in the wake of the Abandoned, it didn’t mean naught at all had ever occurred. There was a long, long history she had seemed remotely unaware of during their last meeting, and while he had no issue with her craving to undo the wrongs, things had to be done the right way. “My biggest concerns are safety and education.” For while it’d been brought up, so had many other notions; from Sah’s experiences into being disparaged and attacked, to the foundations already long since instilled within many Stormbreak residents. “You mentioned the Dragoons, but how are you to know if they are not biased?”
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru
Deimos' intrigue - which is naming it nicely - is given a twitch of her hand in what would otherwise appear to be as her resettling herself. Being around another Attuned makes her even grumpier, bothered by the inability to speak with her brother privately. Still, Sohalia is formal if nothing else, and Hotaru isn't here to be the biggest bitch. While she thinks the Heart is naive and far too young to be ruling a country, her goal in life is to strike down anti-Abandoned sentiment and strengthen those brave enough to exist in the public eye as the race they were born. She doesn't want to impede Stormbreak's efforts, merely guide them - if a bit firmly.

"My number one concern is personal bias leading to the covering up of prejudice, abuse, or death. How do we know Dragoons won't cover for each other?" They are brothers-in-arms after all, and more inclined to shield one another than let a fellow take the fall. "Integration is the most helpful tool for broadening perspectives, but it is also the riskiest for the Abandoned willing to visit. If we can limit the involvement of anyone but leadership in Abandoned altercations, that would be my preference. Even if it means operating procedures such as detainment until the arrival of our Wardens." Something that the Abandoned involved might find irritating and unfair, especially if they were not the ones at fault, but at least it would mean that Dragoons would have as few fingers in the pie as possible.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:

The tone of the focus group was that of collaboration - and even if Soh still felt a bit nervous in Hotaru's presence, she could appreciate that they were all here because they wanted the same things. She may not have personal experience as an Abandoned, but she did have sympathy for their plight, and it was certainly her goal to guide Stormbreak down a path of acceptance. In truth, there were few things in life thus far that Sohalia had taken a firm stance on. This was perhaps the first time she had something that she cared strongly enough about to take a stand for. Her region would come to accept Abandoned, if it was the last thing she did.

"Education is key," Sohalia agreed, smiling shyly at Deimos. "I've actually brought some lesson plans that we have been working on putting together." With that, she pulled out a stack of papers with neat lesson plans laid out. "I was hoping to solicit feedback on them, later on."

Both Deimos and Hotaru echoed another point: the Dragoons. Soh was well aware that the soldiers were a particular sticking point for the Abandoned who might choose to visit Stormbreak, and while a part of her prickled at the insinuations that her Dragoons might be biased or cover one another's crimes, she had to admit that she understood the concern. So it was that she considered her response carefully. "I think that's a fair point," she said. "It may help to know that the Dragoons have recently been trying to open their ranks and be more accepting of other races. I don't believe they have any Abandoned members yet, but I understand that they are open to it. With that said, though, I know that we can't possibly know the mindset of every single Dragoon.

"I appreciate your input, Hotaru, and I think that detaining Abandoned who have been involved in an altercation until a Warden can arrive is a good idea. If the Abandoned is the victim, I don't believe they should be detained, but I do believe that Halo should be informed of the circumstances, and we would of course prosecute the culprit to the fullest extent of the law. But if an Abandoned is a suspect, then detainment until a Warden can arrive makes sense. I'd like to add that if an Abandoned is a suspect, then the Wardens should have the right to question the Dragoon or Dragoons involved in their detainment - with Stormbreak leadership present, of course - and if it is determined that the Dragoon has acted with prejudice and that the arrest was wrongful, they should be prosecuted as though they have committed the crime of which the Abandoned was wrongfully accused."

------

Round 2! Continue discussing!
No need to pray
No need to speak
Sohalia
the Luminary
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Impending altercations, detainments, and procedures might’ve rankled, but Deimos had always been a beast of preparation, calculations, and machinations. To hear Ru’s stead and notions follow alongside was a breath of fresh air, a memory of times and worlds long before; he barely refrained from unfurling the snort building in his chest. Instead, he listened, head tilting as Sohalia launched into another monologue, nodding at the insinuations of lesson plans.

The Dragoons were another dilemma, and Deimos had means to address that as well. “I recently spoke to one of your Dragoons – Koa, I believe. Did you give him the authority to act as a militia in other lands?”

Waiting for that rebuttal or agreement, he hastened to other inquiries amidst the speech. “What are your protocols for those who break the law within Stormbreak?” What was to be expected? Deimos knew of Halo’s – though it certainly depended on the crime – and while he’d love to entertain the idea of a Basiner traditions - simply tossing someone off a mountainside - they had to approach matters more delicately in this world.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Though Deimos' snort is withheld, the twitch in the left corner of Ru's mouth is not, signaling she is feeling similar sentiments of familiarity and old memories. At least until Deimos' next question, which has Hotaru's head twitching just enough to make it obvious that she wanted to whip it around to stare at her best friend, taken aback by the news he has shared in his inquiry. Territorialness rises in her chest like a hot lance, searing and splicing through her sternum with the desire to bare her teeth at the insinuations of a foreign militia setting sights on Halo.

Focus, she bids to herself, caging the cat within and tamping down on animalistic bleedover. "I disagree that the victim shouldn't be detained. It's quite common for questioning. Or do you not have rooms other than cells that can function for detainment?" Her brow rises slightly, exuding curiosity in a cloak over the barb. "I'm sure the citizens of Halo can also be made aware that any altercations involving them could lead to such a procedure." Here she looks to Deimos with a butter-wouldn't-melt expression meant to express 'right?'. Turning back to Sohalia, she smiles beatifically. "That way it's fair to both parties, so neither is perceived as the guilty party before investigations can proceed. No sense in breeding discontent." Something she can easily see happening if a Dragoon was held in harsher conditions over assumed prejudice if that was not truly the case. Fewer cries of wolf that way.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:

Sohalia had tried to come prepared, tried to anticipate some of the things that she might be asked, but whatever she had thought to encounter, news that Koa had been here was not what she had expected. Her calm, serene facade faltered in the face of the news as she frowned at Deimos. "I did not," she said, fighting a sudden sense of panic. What did he mean, acting as a militia? What had Koa been doing - and behind her back, no less? No matter what drama may have played out between the two of them on a personal level, surely, as the Heart of Stormbreak, she deserved to know something of what the Dragoons did? "This is the first I have heard of such a thing." And even that seemed too much of an admission. She was a leader, and yet she didn't have control of her own military?

She needed to talk to Koa. Soon.

But for now, they needed to get back on track and, fortunately, Deimos seemed amenable to moving the conversation forward. "Lawbreakers are detained awaiting a formal hearing," she said. "They are entitled to share their side of the story in front of a jury of peers." She paused, tilting her head thoughtfully to one side. "If the crime involves someone from another region, then we invite their home region to send someone to serve on that jury."

To Hotaru's point, Sohalia inclined her head. Something about the woman made her feel very small and silly, but she returned Hotaru's beautific smile with one of her own all the same. "We certainly would question the victims, and we do have spaces other than cells in which to detain them. If that is acceptable, then I agree that this would be good practice.

"I do wonder about timing,"
Soh mused. "The time that it takes from when a crime is committed, to sending a missive to your Wardens, then travel time to Stormbreak - how do you feel about that? It might mean a somewhat lengthy detainment."

------

Round 3!

More discussion~
No need to pray
No need to speak
Sohalia
the Luminary
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Oh, he knew it would elicit a reaction in Ru – and likely the very same bewildering, corrosive, and barbaric one he’d found lancing between his ribs at the mere notion of anyone thinking they could bombard their way into Halo. Innocent and ignorant at best, it’d been a puzzling experience to listen to ideas transpiring so hastily, without a single amount of forethought coerced through a young mind.

To hear Sohalia had no knowledge of the established semblances either made his jaw clench – pondering how many undermined her authority, or simply did whatever they pleased without a notion given to their leaders. He didn’t permit the thoughts any voice, he was certain her own mind would be doing much the same. “You may want to discuss such matters with him. I have already told him no such thing will be happening in Halo.”

Then there were the matters of detainment and questionings, formal hearings to address accusations, and he wrote down notes along his papers to review amidst others, and show Evie later. At the questioning of timing and the seemingly long, drawn-out process of justice, he tilted his head again. “We have our own cells and places to detain here as well. Questioning could occur in either region.” Perhaps a simplification of the process, but travel was far easier now.
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru
Hotaru leaves the notion of Koa in Deimos' capable hands - both because she knows nothing about the situation, and because he is firm enough in his bluntness to make the weight of the matter obvious. Though she tucks the name away for later, intrigued enough to consider looking into it later.

"A singular representative in a jury seems rather unbalanced. Could investigations not be done privately, and punishment decided by both leaders instead?" Though Ru is confident Deimos would have quite the loud voice if he was her ambassador were she on trial, the idea of such disproportionate representation does not sit well with her.

"As someone who has both experienced it and conducted it, if the environment is appropriate the wait time is negligible. If they don't like the idea, they shouldn't have committed the crime." Here she shrugs gracefully and even goes so far as to smile, finding it a rather humorous sentiment.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:

"I will be sure to talk to him. I can assure you that it is not Stormbreak's intention to interfere in other regions' affairs." Gods, what a nightmare. This wasn't going the way she'd envisioned at all. Anger flared in her chest as she considered Koa's actions. She'd known that he wanted the Dragoons to be more of a worldwide peacekeeping organization, but to go behind her back and approach the leaders of other lands? That was not what she'd had in mind. Fortunately, it seemed that Deimos was willing to let it go - at least for now - and they got back on topic fairly easily.

The suggestions resulted in hastily scrawled notes. "That's a fair point," she said to Hotaru. She hadn't considered the ramifications of disproportionate representation, perhaps naively believing the a jury of peers would be able to discern between their personal feelings and justice. "I've made note that we should consider a more equitable distribution of members." And she chanced a small smile at the Valkyrie. She got the feeling that the woman didn't care for her much, and it irked her. She was very likeable, thank you very much! But this wasn't a question of likeability - it was a question of aptitude for leadership, and Soh couldn't help but feel that she was failing spectacularly.

A glance at the clock told her that their time was almost up. "Is there anything else that concerns you in particular?" she wanted to know, glancing between the two Halovians. "Anything that we should take into consideration as we move forward?"

------

Last round! Discuss. <3
No need to pray
No need to speak
Sohalia
the Luminary
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Were it just the pair of them, Deimos would’ve had something to add, or at least jibe, at Ru’s mention of ‘they shouldn’t have committed the crime’, but settled for a distinct arch of his brow and a tucking of his lips that nearly betrayed a grin.

Instead, they had to remain serious and effectual, so his attention turned to the alterations necessary, writing more notes down to take to fellow Abandoned later. He only raised his head when Sohalia spoke once more, nodding at her insinuations about Koa, or Stormbreak’s lack of involvement. Perhaps someone needed to inform the Dragoon about this, because he’d seem completely undaunted from prior discussions. But he’d take it in and accept her points, and if things didn’t change, then they’d have another round.

As for other considerations, the only thing he wanted to make clear was something churning in the back of his mind. “An awareness. There will be talk from any number of people concerning these changes,” from either side – and if Koa was an example of things being brushed under the rug, or simply glaring into the unknown, there needed to be a change in the scheme of things. “We will do our best to take care of anything here, and expect the same from Stormbreak.”
DEIMOS